Monday, November 12, 2007

November 12, 2007, Word Count, 18908

October 14, 2007

The shower had helped remove some of the cobwebs that the lack of sleep had produced. So had the 4 cups of strong coffee. I pulled into the parking lot at The Wharf at 10:35. Not bad for staying up all night drinking. I checked the mirror one last time before I decided I didn’t look too bad and walked up the ramp to the front door of the restaurant. It would seem that this was the place to be on a Sunday morning. I hadn’t seen this many people in one place since I left Knoxville. I glanced around the room until I saw Louise. She was waving at me, calling me over. A younger woman sat with her, her black hair in two long pigtails. She turned around and smiled. Josie, I assumed.

I had only just made it to the table before Louise grabbed me and gave me an unexpected hug. “Annie! We’re so glad you’re here – I was afraid you were going to cancel on us! This is Josie – the jewelry designer you’ve recently become a collector of. Josie – this is Annie.” “It’s so nice to meet you – your work is beautiful.” I shook her hand and she smiled at me. “It’s nice to meet you, too, Annie. I understand you are quite a talented artist as well.” “Well,” I said, “I am an artist. The talented part I’ll have to defer to others.” I sat down as the server walked up to the table. We all ordered coffee and mimosas. The brunch menu was extensive and I was going to need a moment or two to decide if my hung-over stomach was going to accept any nourishment.

Louise chatted away, gossiping about the locals and regular visitors as if they were her family. Josie and I listened in amusement as Louise spilled the beans about everyone – most of whom were sitting right there in the restaurant. It seemed that Louise had the goods on everyone in town. The server came back and we ordered. I decided to stick to the fruit and yogurt plate. As we talked, I noticed Jackson Pierce walk into the restaurant with a tall, rather dignified woman. She was blond like Jax and elegantly dressed. Louise caught sight of them and said, “Oh, look – there are the Pierces!” My heart sank into my stomach. Jax was married? What the hell?

Jax and the woman were following the hostess to a table adjacent to ours. I tried as hard as I could to sink down into my chair and disappear, but he saw me and looked surprised. He and the woman walked over to our table at Louise’s bidding. They both kissed Louise on the cheek in greeting and said hello to Josie. Jax said to the woman, “Hannah, I don’t believe you’ve met Annie Bradford. She’s just moved to the village. She’s an artist – living in Morning Light. Annie, this is my sister, Hannah.” Oh good Lord, I thought. His sister. I smiled at Hannah and blushed. “It’s very nice to meet you, Hannah.” “You too, Annie. I understand you met some interesting people at the opening last night with Jax. Do you plan on showing your work there?” “I’d like to. I’m taking my portfolio up this week for consideration. From there, I’m afraid it is up to them.” “Well, I wish you very good luck with that. Jax said your work is inspirational.” “Oh, thank you very much, Jax. That’s very kind of you.” We all chatted a few minutes more and the Pierces went to their table to sit down.

Louise and Josie stared at me as if I had grown a third eye. “What?” I asked. “You’ve been in town for a month and you’ve already been on a date with Jackson Pierce? Do you know how many women have tried to go out with that man? I can’t believe you didn’t tell us.” “I’m sorry. Uhm. I just got here. I just met Josie – I didn’t know I needed to tell anything. It wasn’t really a date – he just took me so I could meet some people at the gallery, anyway. Nothing to tell.” Josie shook her head. “You have no idea. I mean Jackson Pierce, for heaven’s sake. I can’t believe it.” “What? Is there something I should know about him? Is he dangerous, for heaven’s sake?”

The server brought our food and placed it on the table, along with another round of mimosas. I was going to become an alcoholic if I kept this up. “No, dear. He’s not dangerous.” Louise patted my hand. “He has just been somewhat of a recluse since he came back from Seattle a couple of years ago. It’s good to see him making friends, that’s all.” She shot a look at Josie that said “shut your mouth, darling” and then smiled back at me. I could see that there was more than she was telling, especially as she was so free to share everyone else’s story. But, I figured it was better that way. If Jackson Pierce wanted to tell me about it, he could.

After all, he knew nothing about me.

2 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lila Malapert said...

Nice! I love how her story is taking on a life of its own! There is a wonderful undercurrent of growing content ... or would it be contentedness? .... in this. Beautiful!!!