Saturday, November 3, 2007

November 3, 2007 Word Count 5,054

October 8, 2007

I was sitting on the deck of the house, staring at the stars and their reflection in the waves. Twilight had passed slowly, the twinkle of stars darting in and out of my vision as the last rays of sunlight had faded. I listened to the music of the waves, the rhythm of the breakers and hummed along with it. I got up to fetch another beer when I hear a strange mewling sound coming from underneath the deck boards. I walked down the steps to investigate, and saw the smallest kitten I’d ever seen. It was caked in wet sand and sat shivering in the dune grass. I looked around for it’s mother, but couldn’t see any other signs of life besides the ghost crabs poking their googly eyes out of their holes.

I carefully picked the kitten up and held it close to my body. It was so cold, I couldn’t imagine that it was still alive. As I walked up the stairs, I heard myself saying over and over again, “It’s okay, little one…it’s okay. I’ve got you…it’s okay.” I found a towel and wrapped the kitten up, brushing the drying sand from it’s nose and eyes. It looked like a little Siamese kitten, with big blue eyes and the seal point ears. While I held it, I took out the carton of milk and warmed up a bowl of it in the microwave. It lapped it up like it had never eaten, which, given the state in which I found it, was entirely possible. The milk was like a kitty narcotic. It almost fell asleep face first into the bowl. I picked it up and wrapped it in a fresh towel and took it to my bedroom, where I changed into my pajamas. I lay the sleeping kitten in the bed next to me and stared at it in wonder.

It would appear that I have a new roommate.

2 comments:

Lila Malapert said...

Over Five Thousand Words? You rock. This book rocks. Remember that Christmas is just around the corner.

Melinda Owens said...

I love the setting. And the kitty, the descriptive narrative and the fact that you are right on count...write on, woman. by the way, I knew you and LINDA would count my blog words for me...it takes a dork to know a dork (or dorks, as the case may be). We should start a club.